Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Giver


Okay, The Giver isn't exactly a book you can write about. "There are some books that are yours, that telling people about them seems like betrayal," said Hazel Grace Lancaster from The Fault in Our Stars. The Giver is one of those. This is one book that you will not be able to stop reading or stop thinking about for days. Months. Years. But not about metaphors and other fancy reading terms. This book is for people who like to ask questions, but don't want to know the answers. I can't really explain what that means. I can't explain the plot of this book without giving too much away, either. But what I will say is that it's about a boy named Jonas who lives in a place called The Community. He has a sister, Lily, a best friend, Asher, and a set of parents. The ceremony of twelve is coming. (I'm trying to sound ominous here). Choices will be made. A heavy book, but a clever one.

Awards: Gold Newberry Medal
Ages: 12+
 
                                              Interested in this book? Click on the link below:
                                                                  The Giver

7 comments:

  1. Hi Phoebe
    I just did a book review on "The Giver" for my Masters in Education studies. I didn't read it when I was a child, but I loved it so much now as an adult!! I loved how it makes you ask questions, even if you aren't sure about what the answers will mean, like you said. Around the same time I read Bruiser, by Neal Shusterman. The characters are a little older than in The Giver (they are about 14 to 16), but it was also deep and complex, and made me think, without being dreary or upsetting. And it had lots of lovely goodies in it for a word-lover like you! (The main character's parents were literature professors, so there were lots of good words, and the one character only wrote in poetry, when he was narrating). I really enjoyed it! You might too :)
    Megan, from Cape Town, South Africa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to read it. That sounds awesome! Thanks for the recommendation.

      Delete
  2. I loved The Giver. Also, you may know this, but I was so surprised to find its the first in a series! I thought there were only three in the series, but when I went to look up the titles, it seems a fourth book has come out since I read them. They are: The Giver, Gathering Blue (my favorite), Messenger, and Son. I'm going to have to find Son now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea this was a series. It didn't seem like that type of book. But I'll look it up; it's impossible for Lois Lowry to write anything bad!

      Delete
    2. I also didn't realise that it was part of a series! I'm excited now! Definitely going to look them up. Thanks for the recommendation, Karen!

      Delete
  3. I love this book. I remember reading it years ago when I was a Year 6 teacher. It has really stayed with me.
    Thanks for reminding me about this great story. Might be time to find it for me own kiddo.

    ReplyDelete