Thursday, December 19, 2013

Aphrodite


I'm a nerd. I wholeheartedly admit it, and have many times, and will admit it many more times. However, though my readers know how nerdy I am, what I am about to type on this post crosses the extreme nerdiness line. Brace yourselves. Here it is: when this book arrived at my house yesterday, I literally jumped up and down and shrieked like a baby for an hour, I was so excited. Ask my parents. At dinner, instead of the routine, "Yeah, my day was fine," there was me saying, "I just can't believe it. This is crazy. This is awesome. No, awesomely crazy," until I actually sat down and read the stinking book as my sister kept suggesting as frequently as my "I just can't believe it." But if you've read this book, or any George O'Connor book at all, you'd understand my disbelief. The illustrations, the way he tells the story...this is the way modern-day greek myths should be portrayed.
              Anyway, back to the actual book. Aphrodite, goddess of beauty and love, is underestimated in all the other books. In a disguised, polite way they're describing Aphrodite as being insignificant. Not so in this graphic novel. In this book, Aphrodite is one of the most powerful goddesses on Olympus, not some silly, gorgeous, airhead girl (don't get me wrong, she's still the most gorgeous woman in the universe. In Aphrodite that's not all there is too her). For pete's sake, she's the goddess of love; is there any more powerful force in the universe?

Ages: 10+
           
                                  Interested in this book? Click the link below:
                                                       Aphrodite

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I should read this! I really liked the other books in this series and I'm pretty sure I haven't read this one yet. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't George O'Connor awesome? Thanks for reading Nerd Alert!!!!

    ReplyDelete